Thursday, October 27, 2011

Just the facts ma'am

After waiting almost 2 days, our transplant coordinator FINALLY called today. He had a bunch to tell us. Thought I would share.

Lee is now active on the lung transplant list. Turns out Lee is pretty high on the list too. He's basically "in competition" with one other guy for new lungs. Kind of makes me want to find this guy and throw him down a flight of stairs. Too mean? Sorry, I can get competitive sometimes.

Anyway, Paul our transplant coordinator, told Lee he shouldn't have to wait too long. Within 3 months, but probably sooner.

We could get "the call" at any time, day or night. So we ask that unless it's an emergency, please do not call or text Lee. Want to keep the line open. When we do get the call, it's up to me to get him to the hospital, which luckily is just a few blocks away. ( one of the perks of being so close to the hospital ) Once we arrive, Lee will be whisked away for prep. That will take about 4 to 5 hours. During that time, I can hang out with him. I plan to take embarrassing photos of him. Then post them on Facebook! Or not.

False alarms are common. So don't be surprised if I tell you he's going in for surgery only to tell you later that the lungs couldn't be used after all. It happens.
If it turns out not to be a false alarm, then the surgery itself will take about 8 hours. While I wait, I'll post updates on Facebook and call our family and friends.

If all goes well after surgery, he'll stay in the hospital 3 to 4 weeks. We've heard that 6 weeks after the lung transplant, he'll then get the Fundoplication surgery on his esophagus. More time in the hospital. So all tolled, we'll be in Pittsburgh 2 to 3 months after the transplant. Again, if nothing goes wrong.

Lung transplants are the most difficult and dangerous transplants. And there is always the possibilty of rejection of the organs. Which is very common. Infections can pop up too. But we don't want infections. Simply put, they are bad.

1 comment:

  1. I am here to express my profound warm gratitude to the herbal medicine, which I got from Dr. Imoloa. I am now living a healthy life since the past 6 months. I am now a genital herpes virus free after the herbal medication I got from him. You can contact him for your medication Via his email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com/ whatsapp +2347081986098/ website www.drimolaherbalmademedicine.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete