Friday, December 2, 2011

All I want for Christmas

What do I want for Christmas? A new set of healthy lungs for Lee. And maybe those sparkly earrings I saw at Macy's. But most importantly, lungs for Lee. And perhaps a gift certificate to the glass center. But really, lungs are top of the list.

Like I've said before, we've been told we won't have to wait long. Now, with Thanksgiving behind us and December upon us, we're starting to get nervous. Maybe it WON'T happen before Christmas. Oh no.

Here's why we think that. There are 4 Family House locations plus several hotels close by that house patients waiting for transplants. Each one of them has been assigned a Lung Allocation Score, referred to as "the number" in conversation. (what's your number?) As I've mentioned before, this LAS consists of blood and tissue type and lung/chest size as well as age. If it's a baby or child, points are automatically added to their score because they get first dibs. If they're older, over 60 for instance, they also get points added. Remember the higher the score, the worse off you are physically and the earlier you'll get a call.

Here at this Family House location, there are currently 3 people that we know of waiting for
double lung transplants. There was a 4th but one of her lungs collapsed last weekend and she shot up to the top of the list and got her transplant this past Monday.

Ed, the ex NYC cop who is 73 years old with Pulmonary Fibrosis has a score of 44. Just like Lee. They also have the same blood type. He's only been called once and that was back in May. And it was a false alarm. No calls since then.

Then there is Dennis. He has Scleroderma, an autoimmune disease, and is in his 60's. His score is 61. No calls yet. Been waiting about 3 weeks. This dude is pretty bad off too. He breathes heavy just sitting.

Then there is Lee. 47 years old with Pulmonary Fibrosis and a score of 44. He actually uses more O2 than Ed and physically has more trouble getting around but Ed will, more than likely, be called sooner.

Interesting fact: When someone gets that precious call, there is a back up or secondary patient who also gets the call. So if the lungs don't fit the primary or if the primary decides against taking the lungs (they may be considered high risk...say the donor was a drug user) then the back up may have them.

Since it's the holiday season, things are supposed to "pick up." In other words, more people are going to die. I've joked that a busload of people, maybe a group of really mean prisoners, needs to drive off a cliff so that those waiting for organs can get them.

I know that's horrible to say but shit, I'm tired of waiting. I'm getting impatient.

Several people have asked me, do you get bored? Nope. I've experienced every emotion and every state of mind there is since we've been here and boredom isn't one of them. I am CONSTANTLY busy. I clean, I shop, I do the laundry, I occasionally cook & bake, I do all of the driving around town, I take Lee to appts., I write emails, I send cards, I pay most of the bills...no time to be bored.

Oh yeah, and I've been eating a lot more. Great time to eat more, right? The holidays with their delicious and fattening sweets calling my name plus the added benefit of stress. Yep, I need to start exercising. Guess that's why I now own 4 pairs of lounge pants. yikes!

To recap, all I want for Christmas are a sparkling pair of earrings, a gift certificate to the glass center, diet pills and the superhuman power to say no to sweets but most importantly and hopefully sooner than later...NEW LUNGS FOR LEE!

Now if I can just find the keys to that bus parked out front...

2 comments:

  1. *** Correction. I was incorrect that Lee and Ed have the same blood type. It's Lee and Dennis that have the same blood type. Sorry for the confusion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie,
    I will pray for Lee. My niece received her double lung transplant a year ago. We rejoice that she is with us today and are saddened that someone had to lose a loved one for that to be possible. We thank the family that made the sacrifice so she and others could continue being with us.
    I pray you get the call soon.

    ReplyDelete