Saturday, December 31, 2011

The long and winding road

2011 began much like any other year. New Years Eve turned into New Years Day. Then bang! We got slapped upside the head. A long time friend became estranged and abruptly "dumped us" and all her other friends too. Started a whole new life. We were hurt. And sad and in shock.

Then before I had to time to wrap my mind around the loss of a friend, the company I was working for, American Express, decided they were closing the Greensboro Service Center by the end of the year. I had the choice to either relocate or take a severance package. Relocating was not an option for us, even though I considered it for like a second. And the severance package would pay me until April 2012. Not too shabby. My last day was in late June.

Turned out this was a good thing for Lee and I.

In March, we left on a weeklong trip to Cleveland for his second lung transplant evaluation. We all know how that turned out. Good thing too. Neither of us liked Cleveland anyway.

Then came time to say goodbye to a close friend and co worker of mine. Jonathan and his
boyfriend were relocating to Florida. Jonathan made me laugh every day! Even when I was feeling my worst. Thank god for Facebook. At least I have his posts to read. I sure do miss him and his fabulous baking boyfriend Josh.

August brought yet another trip. This time to Pittsburgh. For the third and final transplant evaluation.

It took a month to get a response from UPMC but it was well worth it. Finally, good news in a year that so far had disappointed us. But how were we going to pay for it all?

Here's when things began to turn around. We all switched into high gear. Ideas were being
tossed about left and right. I quickly set up a donation page for Lee. And of course the Lungs For Lee Facebook page. And before we knew it, a benefit concert was planned. The stress of how we were going to pay for it all was slowly disappearing.

You know the rest...Pittsburgh. Family House. Waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

With less than 3 hours till the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve, I'm feeling a bit down. I can't help but think about the past year and all the ups and downs we've dealt with. I can't help but think of those who are no longer part of my daily life. I even miss work. Or maybe I just miss the people.

But a great deal of good has happened this year too. I've met new friends, strengthened current friendships and reconnected with old ones. I've learned new art skills. And I'm cooking more. Not that it's good but at least I'm trying. I've also learned how to be a better caregiver. So if any of you get sick...you're on your own. But I'll be glad to TELL you what to do.

To all of you reading this...don't forget to be good to one another, be kind to animals and smile more.

No comments:

Post a Comment